The ROBERT by Life Science Robotics
A complete and flexible solution for rehabilitation.
New to the UK, the ROBERT® is an innovative robotic rehabilitation device that focuses on delivering efficient therapy and providing early mobilisation of acute patients. Getting patients moving as soon as possible after admission to hospital, or following surgery, is an important step towards optimal recovery and facilitating neuroplasticity.
The ROBERT® is a portable solution which offers both active resistive and assistive mobilisation for the upper and lower limb, providing patients and healthcare professionals with better conditions for rehabilitation. Its unique 7 degrees of freedom allows therapists to first define the movement, including Activities of Daily Living or Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation. The ROBERT® then carries out the intensive therapy either in-bed or seated.
Developed by Life Science Robotics, the ROBERT® is an approved Class IIa medical device in compliance with the Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC, and is FDA and MHRA registered.
The first step out of bed
- Active Resistive Mobilisation
The ROBERT® offers resistance against the patient’s movement, and the resistance level of the exercise is adjusted to the patient’s functional strength. The ROBERT® can perform resistance to any movement, as designed and performed initially by the clinician.
- Active Assistive Mobilisation
The ROBERT® guides the patient through the exercise. The patient’s function and strength determines the level of activity during exercise, which follows ROBERT®’s movements or is rested in cases of fatigue.
- Passive Mobilisation
The ROBERT® supports the rehabilitation of immobilised acute patients. Very early mobilisation of severely impaired patients can be facilitated using the ROBERT®. Patients with reduced or no function can engage in early rehabilitation.
Making a difference
For healthcare professionals, the ROBERT® is easy to use with a simple interface. Its assistive technology reduces the need for heavy and repetitive lifts, freeing resources for other aspects of clinical treatment and reducing the strain on the therapist. It is very easy to move the ROBERT® from place to place, allowing therapists to transport the device throughout their facility to each patient. Simply plug, attach, record and play using the intuitive interface.
For patients, the ROBERT® enhances early mobilisation and improves the effectiveness of treatment. This prevents soft tissue contracture and pressure sores, minimises the risk of blood clots and pneumonia, and reduces muscular atrophy and neuropathic effects.
For hospitals and clinics, the ROBERT® provides intensive treatment without increasing staff costs. Patients recover faster and can return to daily living earlier, resulting in shorter periods of hospitalisation.
Get in touch with Summit Medical and Scientific today to discuss how you can integrate the ROBERT® into your clinical practice.
Upper limb rehabilitation
- Suitable for those patients with upper limb weakness and loss of movement
- With 7 degrees of freedom, ROBERT® promotes functional recovery and activity of daily living training
- Supports vital and complex movements
- Active, active-assistive and passive training options
- Assists patients in both seated and lying positions, so therapy can be delivered in bed or sitting
- Repetitive, task-oriented exercises in a controlled environment
- Trains range of motion and strength
- Suitable for a wide range of patients, including post-stroke
Lower limb rehabilitation
- Efficient mobilisation and early rehabilitation of patients
- Designed to deliver early mobilisation for those suffering from neurological disease or injury, as well as post-orthopaedic surgery
- Exercises for the lower limb can be created and tailored to individual patients
- ROBERT® then carries out these exercises, which are recorded and monitored by the healthcare professional
- Optimised for ease of use with quick set up
- Operates with 7 degrees of freedom to allow for bespoke mobilisation patterns to be programmed
- Reporting and progress monitoring to allow healthcare provider to easily modify treatment
Additional FES module
The ROBERT®’s Sensing and Stimulating (SAS) module is a method for intelligent sensing of the intent of an immobile patient based on the signals from the muscles, which is combined with Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES). This is in order to support the patient in contracting the weakened muscles, and perform exercises with the ROBERT®.
The assist-as-needed feature helps increasing exercising for bedridden patients – even for patients who are unable to perform the exercises themselves.
Rehabilitation for early and acute patients is enhanced through active and adaptive support of the patient, and at the same time reduce the load on the therapists.